Thursday, March 2, 2017

Feature Student: Jason Urbano


Hi, I'm Jason Urbano. I'm a senior business major at UNC from Greensboro, NC. I enjoy movies, music, traveling, staying active and trying new things. In addition, I'm currently a senior marshal and senior intern for the Bonner Leaders Program housed at the Campus Y. I've generally done most of my service throughout my time at Carolina within the Bonner Leader Program. My first three years in the program I worked with Blue Ribbon Mentor Advocate, a local organization in the Chapel Hill-Carborro city school system that provides mentorship, academic tutoring, and extracurricular opportunities to underprivileged students of color from 4th grade to high school graduation. There specifically I was a General Program Coordinator for the middle school program offering strategies to improve the grades of affiliates, organizing various enrichment opportunities, and facilitating after school tutorials at local middle schools. Now as a senior intern of the Bonner Leaders Program I help run the entire program, serve as a mentor to UNC students a part of the program, and facilitate various social justice and skills workshops weekly.

I decided to apply to this class because I have been in positions that allow me to directly and indirectly help non-profits achieve results base on their overall mission and goals, but never been a part of a board that will administer funds to non-profits and wanted to experience the entire process. So far, I have enjoyed the class particularly because I am a part of the board committee. In this position I essentially facilitate board discussions, ensure the rest of the committees are working to prepare all of the necessary resources and materials needed to release a grant application, and ensure that decisions are made concisely and efficiently as a board. I'm excited to see what kinds of grant proposals we will receive and eventually fund and it has been a joy being a part of the course thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment