Thursday, March 9, 2017

Feature Student: Jenn Morrison

My name’s Jenn Morrison, and I’m a senior journalism major and studio art minor. I’m from Brookeville, Maryland, and growing up outside Washington, D.C. has definitely been an influence in my interest in the nonprofit world.

Now at Carolina, I’m a Buckley Public Service Scholar and member of Alpha Phi Omega service fraternity. UNC has strengthened the commitment to service I had coming in, but it’s also opened my eyes to a lot of issue areas and means of service that I wasn’t exposed to before. Being a journalism major has also allowed me to connect with people I may not have otherwise met, listen to their stories, and gain a deeper understanding of the issues we tackle through service. I’m a firm believer in the importance of effective storytelling for nonprofits and am interested in how communication can drive change, from a well-written grant application to social media campaign.

IMG_3390.1.jpg
The writing committee for our class foundation board is a great way to see that in action, as I helped draft the foundation mission statement, RFP and grant application, and now we’re looking forward to reviewing the proposals we receive! Participating on this foundation board is an incredible opportunity as a student to be able to see a side of service that often feels distant from a volunteer’s perspective. It’s brought the idea of philanthropy closer to home and shed light on the role that funding plays in every community.

No comments:

Post a Comment