Thursday, April 6, 2017

Feature Student: Annie Ng

Hi! My name is Annie, and I am a senior here at UNC Chapel Hill majoring in Business Administration and minoring in Spanish for the Professions. I am originally from Hong Kong, but moved to Fayetteville, North Carolina when I was 6. Currently I live in Chapel Hill, but will be working in Charlotte after graduation.
I'm constantly intrigued by new potential hobbies, but currently my top hobbies to do during my free time include Latin dancing, playing the ukulele, and singing. Throughout my four years at UNC, I have been fortunate enough to engage in a number of on-campus organizations, including my role as a Resident Advisor in the Department of Housing and Residential Education, as a tutor through Summer Bridge, and the most recent - as a dancer in Que Rico, UNC's Latin dancing team. However, one of the most impactful service opportunities I have been involved with has been APPLES. As a sophomore, I joined APPLES in order to learn more about Latinx issues in North Carolina, as well as, find ways to critically analyze service itself. Through APPLES, I was able to visit various nonprofits in 10 towns in North Carolina that work with Latinx issues in healthcare, education, farmworking community, and immigrant rights. I had the privilege of leading this trip the year after, and was able to gain incredible insight into how I can leverage my position as a student at UNC to educate others of the issues I had learned about.
Another service opportunity I have played a part in is Scholars' Latino Initiative. I became a mentor as a sophomore in order to actively bridge the the disparities in Latinx students' access to higher education. Through this program, I have had the privilege of mentoring a high school student from Carrboro High School, as well as providing advice and assistance in the college application process.

In this class, I am in the data committee, which works to streamline and organize the way that review is done for applications that come our way. Currently, we are looking at effective ways to process applications in a way that is fair and effective. I decided to apply for this class because I thought it would be a great opportunity to engage in such a real-world setting in my last semester of college. I felt that it would allow me to gain more insight into the structure of various nonprofits, as well as, foundations. Through speakers and class discussions, I have been able to broaden my perspective on the many aspects of service. I hope this class will catapult some of my own interests in working in the nonprofit sector one day, as well as, allow me to connect with issues I am passionate about.

No comments:

Post a Comment