Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Feature Student: Austin Mueller

Hey all! My name is Austin Mueller and I am originally from Long Valley, New Jersey, though I now live in Vienna, West Virginia. I’m a senior here at UNC and have a double major in American History and Economics and a minor in Hispanic Studies. I enjoy hiking, reading creative non-fiction, and listening to a variety of genres of podcasts. Additionally, I’ll be continuing to live in the area for the year following graduation, as I’ve accepted a position to work with the university’s administration.

From playing in the marching and pep bands to being a teaching assistant for a Women’s Studies course, I’ve had a plethora of opportunities to get involved in different activities with the university. In addition to the two aforementioned opportunities, I’ve also helped to lead Carolina United as a counselor, served as a Mediator on the Executive Board of our campus’s chapter of Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity, and I’ve been involved with Carolina For The Kids as a Morale and Recruitment committee member over these past four years and as a sub-chair for the committee this past year. Service-wise, most have my work has been through the Carolina For The Kids Foundation, which raises money to support the UNC Children’s Hospital and holds a 24-hour long Dance Marathon in the spring. I also do service work with Phi Sigma Pi, which has included working with Special Olympics, hosting a Battle of the Bands to raise money for local nonprofits, and learning more about our local community and how to better serve its needs with the Jackson Center.


I took this course, because I’m interested in the intersection of philanthropy and social justice.  Through learning about the various inequalities inequities facing our nation from my history and women’s studies courses, as well as my experience with Carolina United, I’m interested in supporting radical solutions to addressing poverty, sexism, heterosexism, racism, income inequality, etc. This course has been wonderful in outlining ways to effect social change and in breaking the stereotypes surrounding what constitutes “philanthropy.” In the course, I’ve been a part of the writing committee, and thus helped to write our mission statement as well as our RFP.

No comments:

Post a Comment