Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Feature Student: Sophie Whelchel

My name is Sophie Whelchel and I am from Asheville, North Carolina. I am studying Women’s Studies, Global Studies and Social Entrepreneurship. During my first year at UNC I started an organization on campus called She’s the First, which fundraises to send girls in developing countries to school. We host fundraisers and educational events and have raised over $7000 in the past two years. Beyond that, I work at the Community Empowerment Fund (CEF) where I meet weekly with individuals who are at risk of experiencing homelessness and provide relationship-based support, workforce development, and financial education. I like to spend time at Open Eye and do yoga on my free time! 

In some classes at UNC I have felt that there is a disconnect between class discussion and actual action, yet this class creates the perfect balance between the two. I have really enjoyed the way that my classmates and I have been able to connect with communities outside of UNC and make a significant impact through our class work. More specifically, I am on the Data Committee and have helped create a rubric that will help our classmates decide which grants to fund. We will also compile scores after rounds of voting and eliminate grants that did not have majority approval. We hope that we can hear all opinions in the class while still being efficient with time.  


I decided to apply for this class because I am interested in the way that money can be used as a force for good. In the future, I hope to work in the field of impact investing – specifically focused on gender equality. This course has given me skills and experience that will help me pursue this career.

No comments:

Post a Comment